The best part about any holiday is the food! And just like every holiday, there are certain food traditions.
Here is a list of 13 traditional foods to eat in the New Year to bring you good luck in 2023:
- Down Donuts for the New Year. They are symbolic of the year coming full circle.
- In the south, they eat Black-Eyed Peas for luck...
- ...and collard greens for money!
- Soba Noodles for Longevity. The longer the noodle, the longer the life.
- Pork for Prosperity and wealth, maybe pork carnitas tacos!
- Smash Pomegranates for Good Fortune
- Break a Wishbone for Luck
- Eat Lentils for Prosperity and Success
- Cook A Whole Fish for Wholesome Months. According to legend, you need to eat a whole fish—literally the head, tail, and it will bring forth a good year. Ehhhh maybe I'll pass on eating the head and tail though!
- Fortune Cookies for Well Wishes. Well, duh!
- Sauerkraut for Longevity, Luck, and Money. Being that I am half Polish, I've got no problem with this one!
- Eat Herring for a Bountiful Year. Ok, going back to being Polish...the family use to eat Herring pickled. I can't do it.
- Eat 12 Grapes, one for Each Month at midnight.